Sunday, February 26, 2012

Happiness and contentment

Parsley, basil, mint, and sunshine
Everyone knows that happiness is more than just the absence of sadness or strife.  Happiness, and its nearly identical twin, contentment, are something more, and above all else they are elusive.

What is happiness?  Most people would say they know it when they feel it, and most would probably also admit to not feeling it often enough.  It can be hard to grasp, and harder yet to keep.

As Americans, we're told that, along with life and liberty, the pursuit of happiness is an inalienable right.  It's in the Declaration of Independence, so it must be true, right?

I feel like I've spent most of my life waiting for the "next big thing" to happen to me:  the thing that would finally make me happy.  There have been so many of those "things" through the years, with retirement being one of the most recent ones.  In between there have been lots and lots of mini-goals, what most people (including me) would call "something to look forward to," i.e. something to help you to put one foot in front of the other and get through as many days as necessary to reach the appointed promised land.

The trouble with this approach to life is that with every sigh of "Oh, how I wish it was time for my vacation!" or "Only 273 days until retirement!" you're basically wishing your life away.  Believe me, I know.  I'm as guilty as anyone.  It seems like just last week I was 25.  But, in fairness, you've got to do what you've got to do to get through what you've got to get through.  I certainly did, so I'm not judging.

I've made up my mind that I'm not going to do that anymore.  Life is precious, and none of us knows how many days we are allotted.  As Carly Simon told us so many years ago, I'm going to "...stay right here 'cause these are the good old days."

As I write this post, I'm happier than I have been in a very long time, and it has nothing to do with things, events, or other distractions.  It does have everything to do with feeling comfortable living in this 60 year old skin, with laughter, with spending time close to nature, and with good and loving companionship.

I hope to be able to sustain this happiness - this contentment - in a way I have never been able to do:  by embracing every day to the fullest, with gratitude, optimism, and my eyes open wide.

Too corny?

No comments:

Post a Comment